Well, this is one way.
- Choose a time and a movie. If the movie is streaming online, awesome. If not, you have to do this a few days in advance to make sure all involved can get it by date night.
- Ten minutes prior to date time, queue up movie
- Five minutes prior, make popcorn* (or — my new favorite — blanched green beans with Old Bay seasoning).
- One date-ee calls the other at the arranged time, and you chat for a minute on the phone.
- Meanwhile you queue up Skype or Google video.
- Then you use a “On the count of three method” to make sure you’re starting at the same place on the movie.
- Make sure you’ve muted Skype/Google video; otherwise you hear the movie dialog twice.
- Hang up. Put a Skype/Google video window in a corner somewhere (so you can see each other’s reactions to the film and type comments during less action-packed parts.
It’s more fun and less geeky than it sounds, I promise. More long-distance date suggestions will be graciously accepted.
* I recently learned that you can make popcorn using this method: put kernels in paper bag; microwave for a few minutes (listening as you would to microwave popcorn — only note that it takes less time). Remove, season as desired, and enjoy. In doing this you cut out: weird lung-cancer-causing chemicals, fat, nastiness, packaging, and cost. I’m curious about doing it in a reusable fabric bag, but have not tried it yet…**
** I used to have a popcorn fork, but now I can’t find it. 😦