I’m more into Independence Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas. Valentine’s Day, Easter, Labor Day. El Dia de los Muertos, Flag Day, Labor Day, President’s Day… Anything that doesn’t require dressing up, basically…
Costumes I remember:
- Angel (I think I was 2, maybe I only remember the pictures and the nightgown that I wore for the next couple of years)
- Clown (only remember pictures; it was cute)
- Southern Belle (my mom sewed it! Wow, Mom!)
- Mouse with cookie (from If You Give a Mouse a Cookie)
- Raisin (I think it began as grapes, and quickly deteriorated (meaning the purple balloons were popped by pine-needle-wielding seventh graders, leaving me as a “raisin” in a Glad bag with wilty purple balloons).
- Plus lots of ice-skating, non-Halloween costumes — my mom was genius at creating these to our specifications, for better or for worse (like “Under the Sea” — I wanted to appear as though I was covered in seaweed — she should have protested, but she pulled through!)
After 7th Grade, I was deemed too old to dress up and trick-or-treat. Fair enough. Halloween was a source of great stress. It still is. I’ve only had to dress up once since 1993 (as Jelly Bellys), and I hated every second of it. In 2002 I bought a black wig and wore it on Halloween, but I didn’t have any kind of plan other than “Leslie with black hair and eyeliner.” People kept guessing, but there was no answer to “what I was.” It was uncomfortable.
This year… This year I have to break my rule of not going to Halloween parties. It’s complicated (well, it’s not, but the host is charming, and the rule is thus broken). I was hesitant at first; I’m adjusting to the idea. I’m going as a detective. An unsexy detective (why do some people use the holiday as a reason to take their clothes off? It totally goes against my 13-is-too-old-for-trick-or-treating upbringing…). Anyway, it will be more about the “act” of detecting than the “look,” though I hope to achieve the “look,” too, with a fabulous thrift store trench coat I love and don’t wear enough. Regardless, it will not look like this.