If you’re a fan of Okkervil River at all, or think maybe you would be, you should download their fabulously free Golden Opportunities Mixtape. I’ll certainly be listening to this one tomorrow…
Other news: it is cold and snowy here, and the days are shorter and shorter (but only through the middle of next week, and then they’ll get longer and longer!). I don’t really mind the snow, but it does make me long for the days of only working half-time. I would just like to stay cozy in bed a bit later than 6:30 (not that anyone makes me get up at 6:30 — it’s definitely a choice), maybe do a little work from home, etc. Basically, I don’t mind working, I just don’t want to do anything that requires leaving the apartment or wearing something other than pajamas. Lucky for me I have a long holiday coming up… It just can’t come soon enough!
Things I’ve learned this week:
- Eggplant is not a starchy vegetable!
- Cauliflower can be tasty!
- If you try to remove pomegranate seeds with a fork or spoon, you’ll get way messier than if you just do it with your fingers!
- Removing pomegranate seeds with your fingers takes practice and skill, but it’s a skill worth cultivating!
- It’s worth driving to Sunflower Market if you’re going to buy more than 2 things, especially if one is fresh!
- Pears do not travel well, and you shouldn’t try to force them to be what they’re not (good travelers)!
- All I really want in the morning is a warm drink, but it doesn’t really matter if it’s coffee, tea, or lemon water!
One more day of fruits and non-starchy vegetables, and then I’m on to juice and broth for four days… I feel really good, and I’ve been sleeping full nights and waking up easily. When I got up this morning, I felt like my skin had more color to it than it has in a long time, and a colleague commented on how healthy I look, which was especially nice considering her initial skepticism of the cleanse.